Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Overcrowded Class?


Compared with the class sizes of today, my class in Primary 1 (50 students) in 1975 and Primary 6 (49 students) in 1980 seemed like an over-crowded, unproductive learning environment. Right? Wrong. I was conducting a seminar in a private school today where the average size of the classroom does not exceed 28 students. Now, if the number of students have reduced, shouldn't misbehavior also be reduced by a certain percentage as well? The answer again is Wrong. The fact is - misbehavior and attitude issues have increased!

Cik Raja of Primary 1 has 50 students to teach and I don't recall any major disciplinary issues - yes, we were mischievous at times but she managed to teach (not parent!). This is because I came to the class all ready to learn (courtesy of my mother at home who already instill within me a fear of authority figures - especially women!). It was my responsibility to pay more attention to Cik Raja than the other way round. Today, students come to the class with the expectation to be entertained! A primary school teacher I spoke with two days ago, stated that even visual aids nowadays is not enough, children need animated presentations!

Yes, my class of yesteryear was over-crowded but we came already parented to learn. The class of today is ergonomically-designed but poorly led by teachers and parents who no longer lead the child on the same team. Folks, this is an issue of leadership - specifically, the lack of parenting leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment